What to Do After An Accident
The chance of being involved in a collision when driving on the road is high. In fact, there is a 60 percent chance of being involved in a road collision for ever car traveling- local or Interstate. The odds are high, and, unfortunately, if you are one who has been involved in a car accident you understand the need to know what to do.
Melbourne Cars Removal offers the following guide on what to do if you are in a car accident. This is something that every driver needs to be aware of as once you are involved in an accident, your judgment is not as clear and you will find yourself unsure of what to do at a very critical time- whether a fender bender or an injury accident.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Car Accident
- The first thing to do is to get safe. If you can move your vehicle, then drive it to the side of the road. If you are unable to move your vehicle, immediately switch the hazard lights to your vehicle on and wait for the proper authority to arrive on the scene. Do not exit your vehicle in heavy traffic unless it is unsafe, or the police officers instruct you to do so. Stay inside the vehicle with your seatbelt on as one accident can create more accidents, especially if the weather is bad, or the traffic is heavy or it is dark on the road.
- Check yourself for injury, as well as other passengers in your vehicle. Have you bumped your head, are you feeling dizzy, did your knees hit the dash, etc. Make sure you and everyone in your vehicle is okay. When it is safe to exit your vehicle, check on the condition of the other driver/s and passengers that were involved in the accident.
- Stay calm. Do not begin to yell at the other driver or place blame. Also, do not claim that the accident was your fault. Be cooperative, but do not try to point the figure as to who is responsible for the accident.
- Contact the local authorities. Alert them of your location and report the accident, regardless of the degree of the accident. Depending on your state, it may be mandatory to report accidents, regardless of injury.
- Gather information. You will need the names of all the people involved in the accident, including the names of passengers, insurance information, model and make of vehicles, license plate number, where the accident occurred, the name and badge number of the police officer and the contact information of any eye witnesses. If you have a cell phone with a camera, take pictures of the scene. Unless instructed otherwise (you need to be taken to the hospital, etc.) stay at the scene until the police officers arrive.
- Contact your car insurance company. Car insurance is mandatory under law and vehicle owners must carry their insurance card at all times. Call the number on the card immediately following the accident. You will need to file a claim- that some states require you to do so within 24 hours. Your insurance company will be responsible for determining whether your car is totaled or if the damage that resulted due to the accident is repairable.
If you have been involved in an accident and your car is totaled, you can eliminate additional stress and concern by having the vehicle removed by a car removal company. Car removal companies like Melbourne Cars Removal offer cash for accident cars. We perform free car removals that can be performed the same day that you contact us for an instant cash offer. Not only will you not have the unpleasantness of looking at your wrecked vehicle each day when you walk out into your yard or garage, having the emotions of the accident evoked, you will have have a free car removal performed and instant cash put in your hand for its removal. This is over and above what you will get from your insurance company. Melbourne Old Cars Removal accepts all makes and models of vehicles of any age and condition. Just give us a call, and we’ll offer you a cash offer on that accident vehicle of yours. Our cash for accident cars offers are sure to help ease the pain of your accident.
Call us at the number below or complete our “Instant Cash Appraisal” form located on our website. With just a few details about your vehicle, we will be able to offer you a top dollar cash offer on your wrecked car, truck, van, 4×4, SUV, commercial vehicle, Jeep, ute, etc.
Call us at 0416 686 900